Steps in the MSW Application Process
To complete an application to any of the MSW degree programs, you will need to submit all of the following information prior to the posted deadline(s):
- Complete an online GrAdMIT application. Applying to the UB School of Social Work starts with an online application found in the interactive graduate application site, called GrAdMIT. GrAdMIT allows you to work on an application, save it, and return to it at a later date for completion. There are separate applications for each of the following degree programs: MSW, MSW Online, BA/MSW, JD/MSW, MBA/MSW, and MPH/MSW. Make sure you select the correct degree program.
- Upload ALL academic transcripts to the GrAdMIT application. At the bottom of the GrAdMIT application you will find instructions to upload your unofficial copies of academic transcripts. Applicants must upload unofficial copies of academic transcripts from all schools attended. (e.g. if you completed an associate degree and institution A and a bachelor's degree at institution B, we require transcripts from both institution A and institution B.) Applicants are required to submit final official transcripts once accepted into the program. At that time, you should request official academic transcripts from all educational institutions that you have attended at the undergraduate and graduate levels, except from the State University of New York at Buffalo. Official transcripts can be mailed to: University at Buffalo, School of Social Work, 685 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260.
- Upload your personal statement essay to the GrAdMIT application. The faculty of the School of Social Work have the responsibility of evaluating your application. You will be submitting a variety of evidence concerning your ability to undertake a graduate program in social work. An important component in your application is the content of your personal statement. Your personal statement essay MUST answer all the questions found in the Guidelines for Writing the Personal Statement.
- The essay must be in English and written by the applicant.
- Please use 12 point font, one inch margins, and double spacing.
- There is no page limit, although the average is 5-6 pages.
- Pay particular attention to grammar.
- Pay the application fee. Once you submit your application, you will receive an email containing an e-pay link, allowing you to pay the application fee by credit card or e-check. The MSW and BA/MSW application fees are $75. The MSW Online, MSW/JD, MSW/MBA, and MSW/MPH application fees are $100.
- Mail three letters of recommendation with cover form. Three letters of recommendation from professional sources are required. Select professional references that are best able to assess your potential for graduate-level academic work and for the profession of social work. This includes faculty, classroom instructors, academic advisors, current or past employers, supervisors, or professional colleagues. Do not use personal friends, relatives, friends of the family, or other personal relationship sources. If you are unsure about whether or not a recommender is personal or professional, please contact us for guidance at email@example.com. Download the letter of recommendation cover form, complete the top section, and provide a form to each of your recommenders. The letter of recommendation will be treated as confidential; however, you have the right to sign or not sign the waiver of right of access. Request that each of your recommenders write a letter on official letterhead (or provide a return address if letterhead is unavailable), attach it to the completed form, and return it to you in an envelope with signature across the seal. Or, they may mail the recommendation directly to: UB School of Social Work, 685 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260.
- Completed applications must be postmarked by the application deadline.
- If you have any difficulty uploading electronic documents or questions about the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additional information for our programs is avaiable: MSW Online (available soon), BA/MSW, JD/MSW, MBA/MSW, MPH/MSW, and the PhD in social welfare.
Additional Steps for International Applicants
In addition to the above application requirements, international applicants must provide the following documentation at time of application:
- Send English language proficiency exam results, dated no more than two years prior to the actual semester start date
- TOEFL iBT – minimum score of 90 (cBT 233, pBT 577)
- IELTS – minimum score of 7.5
- PTE Academic – minimum score of 61
If notified of a conditional acceptance into the program, international students must upload the following documents to their GrAdMIT application:
- Upload a photocopy of your passport photo page to the GrAdMIT application
- Copy of Current I-20 & VISA (if currently studying in the United States)
- International Applicant Financial Form
- Bank Documents showing funding for first year of academic study