PhD Program in Social Welfare: Scholarship at the Intersections.
Like social work practice, social work research is situated at the intersections of:
- Theory, policy, and practice
- Micro, mezzo, and macro systems
- Multiple disciplines, professions, and communities
- Personal factors and social contexts
- Human rights and social inequalities
- Local and transnational networks
- Independent analysis and cooperative action
The PhD Program in Social Welfare at UB's School of Social Work is designed to capitalize on the dynamism, creativity, diversity, and insight that emerge from these crossroads. Our students have the latitude to craft a program of interdisciplinary coursework and practical research that reflects their individual interests and addresses critical issues in their chosen field. Students are free to take courses in any of UB's schools and departments and are encouraged to join the intellectual exchanges and scholarly collaborations fostered by UB's thriving research centers and institutes, including:
- Buffalo Center for Social Research
- Institute on Trauma and Trauma-informed Care
- Research Institute on Addictions
- Institute for Research and Education on Women and Gender
- Baldy Center for Law and Social Policy
- Center for Urban Studies
While enjoying the freedom and diversity enabled by this individualized program, students can count on a stable and supportive foundation:
- Diverse funding opportunities through assistantships and scholarship programs (Hartford Partnership Program in Aging Education, Schomburg Fellowship; Serge Valme Fellowship);
- Proseminars to provide grounding in social work scholarship and in a social work community;
- Research opportunities and supervision through the Buffalo Center for Social Research;
- Ongoing guidance from faculty who are expert in a wide range of fields and who conduct research around the world, yet who are also accessible, dedicated mentors.
Just as our home of Buffalo prides itself on being the "city of good neighbors," the faculty, staff, and students at the UB School of Social Work are deeply invested in our collective and individual successes. We are all committed to graduating social work researchers with the skills, knowledge, and drive to advance social justice through scholarship.
For more information, visit: